Trying to clean out and minimize is mainly what I am trying to tackle on this blog. ‘Donate’ piles constantly clutter the front door. This is good though because it means I am continuing to left go and get rid of unnecessary things.
There is another problem though, one of buying and accumulating. Even if it is not purchased at a store, bringing things in that you do not need adds to the clutter. Some problem items that sneak into my apartment are as follows:
- paper/ envelopes and stationary
- school supplies
- pajamas/ t-shirts
It is silly because everything listed above is useful, but it is unnecessary when you have 3-10 of the same things. The extras end up having to be stored away.
Plastic bags can fill up a space. I hate throwing them out, unused, and instead use them as trash bags. I have accumulated a lot though and I cringe every time I am handed a plastic bag. Don’t forget your reusable bags.
Tips when you want to buy:
- Think about where it will go
- How many of these do you already have?
- What is already or what would take its place if you did not buy it?
- Is this something that you have gotten in the past and not used?
- Think about if it is a good investment
Basically, think about if you need this or simply want it.
It doesn’t matter if it is a really good price, even if it is a small item it will be adding to your overall stuff.